Saturday, August 16, 2008

twilight mania?

I just finished reading the 1st book of the Twilight series, Twilight last night after buying it out of curiousity the other day. Yeah, I know. I'm such a loser for not reading it early on. Loads of my friends would try to shake me into sense by reading it, but I just didn't budge. I quote Tiff and Megan.

Tiff: IShiiiiiiii! ANO KA BA! BUMILI KA NA NG TWILIGHT!!!! MAGANDA SIYA AS IN MAS MAGANDA PA KAYSA HARRY POTTER!!

Megan: Gumugulong ako sa kilig dahil sa 1st book. Mababaliw ka talaga!

Hmm...what can I say? The book's fine. It's not exactly one of the best books I've read but it's not the worst either. Don't strangle me now, but i found it quite boring and well...a tad too cheesy for my taste. It's so surprising that Megan's so crazy about when I'm not because I'm usually the "romantic one". She's usually the rocker slash deadma kind. Hahaha. I don't know...it's kinda a light read. In my opinion, it's a bit of chick lit too. It's not chick lit because of gossip, boys, and sex. It's chick lit because it attracts female readers more. It makes them believe in fairytale-like scenarios where there's always gonna be a knight in shining armor to sav e the damsel in distress. And it kinda pleases some by making the girl too ordinary to the point that it's too absurd. It contributes to the mentality of "do-nothing. Everything-is-determined-by-luck-sorry-ka-na-lang kung di-ka-trip-ng-gwapong-character" . It doesn't speak of woman empowerment as Bella is a "nothing". She doesn't listen to her friends, she has a cranky personality, she whines a lot, a bit arrogant, etc. But she still got the dreamy Edward Cullen just because "wala lang" - it just so happens that she has a nice human scent. That Edward can't read her mind without any explanation...that everything's just there for her. It just seems wrong. (Hahaha I do smell jealousy? No, only the reincarnation of a somewhat similar version of woe-is-me stories)

The sentence construction isn't that impressive too. It's too straight forward - leaving nothing for the imagination. Nothing boggles my mind with it . Everything is just there. It's different form Haruki Murakami's works wherein you're left puzzled and thinking for days, even weeks! He mixes up surreality with reality so it really is mind boggling.

Don't get me wrong, Meyer did a great job, indeed. It would be obvious by now since the Twilight series have become an International bestseller. It does says something about the writer.

Maybe I'm just disappointed because I expected too much. But could you blame me? Everyone's just all hyped up about it - I just formulated in my mind that it was REALLY REALLY BIG.

I won't judge you if you loooove Twilight. I don't exactly love it. But I like it enough for not to dislike it. We just have our own tastes. That's all.

But weirdly enough, contrary to all what I said, I'm still going to read the rest of the saga. I'm just curious. And like I said, I like it naman...in a way or two.

No comments: